It’s hard to stay in shape and keep those pounds off during the holidays with Thanksgiving, Holiday Parties, and New Years all in a 5 week span!
However, it’s definitely possible!!
Here are a few holiday tips:
- Remember that a holiday is just that, it’s a DAY, not a week and definitely not 5 weeks.
- Make time for some exercise without taking time away from family and friends by planning active meetings with kids, going for a walk, a friendly pick me up game of some sort, Wii… there are tons of options, just get everyone involved and keep moving.
- At holiday parties, pick the items that you most want and enjoy those rather than filling up on everything just so you get to try it all. Prioritize what you want most.
- Watch the alcohol! We tend to increase the higher calorie alcohol drinks during these holiday weeks rather than the normal amounts of wine and beer, so be careful and if you want to consume the higher calorie drinks, make sure you account for those extra calories as well.
- Keep your schedule as consistent as you can. Make time for exercise and healthy eating when possible.
- Remember, you can workout anywhere! No matter who you are visiting or where you are staying, you can walk/run around, do squats, lunges, and other bodyweight exercises so no excuses 🙂 (Check out the holiday workout post here!)
- If you are the cook, choose healthy alternatives to your favorite foods. For example, use healthy substitutes for desserts (think pumpkin, applesauce, etc.) (Healthy Holiday Recipes will be posted soon!)
- Most importantly, don’t give up! Even if you have a bad day, or couple of days, don’t just say to yourself, you’ll get back to being healthy in the new year. You’ll just make more work for yourself that’s truly unnecessary. Get back on track right then and stick to it.
As always, any questions or comments, shoot them my way! If you have holiday recipes you’d love to share send them to me and I’ll post them to share!